“…From all the churches we have in Romania, none of them comprises such an artistic treasure, so much wealth of heavenly life, expressed in such a beautiful way, so bright and with such a power” (Alexandru Vlahuță, 1910).
Situated at 9 km (5.5 miles) from the city of Tîrgu Neamț, the Agapia Monastery is one of the most known and most appreciated monuments in this part of Romania. The things that offer a special value to this monument are the frescos painted by the great Romanian painter, Nicolae Grigorescu, in the period 18581861. The Agapia Monastery assembly was included on the List of historic monuments from Neamț County and it includes the following 7 locations: „St. Waivodes” Church – dating back from the XVII century, the “Birth of the Mother of God” Chapel – dating back from 1864, the „St. John Bogoslov” wooden Church – dating back from 1821, the Sanctums – dating back from the XIX-XX centuries, the Constructions from the precinct – dating back from the XIX-XX centuries, the Bell tower – dating back from 1823, and the “Dormition of the Mother of God” wooden Spital – dating back from 1780. Plus, there is also the house of the writer Alexandru Vlahuță.
The Agapia Monastery’s history is tightly related to the history of the Old Agapia small monastery built by the monk Agapie – the name Agapie, in Greek, means “beloved”, “love” (for the close ones).
12 september 1647
The first documentary mention is testified by the papers of Ilieș Vodă (Hotarnica lui Ilieș Vodă) from 1437, which delimitates the Agapia Monastery domain from that of the Neamț Monastery’s.
The buildings from Agapia from the Hill didn’t had a long life because of the soil, and around 1600, some monks moved in the valley, building here a small church, and around it was developed today’s Agapia Monastery, mentioned under the name of New Agapia, Agapia from the Valley or Big Agapia. The new monastery was built between the 16th of October 1642 and the 3rd of September 1644 by the Romanian hetman Gavriil Coci – the brother of the Moldavian ruler Vasile Lupu – and his wife, the proprietress Liliana. The monastery was dedicated on the 12th of September 1647 by the Metropolitan Varlaam Moțoc. Meanwhile, the sanctums were built, the ones that form the precinct of the monastery, and at sunrise, the bell tower, a massive construction made of granite stone.
The Agapia Monastery has approximately 340 nuns, of which almost 100 nuns live in the parish of the monastery, and the others in the monastic village.
Address: Village Agapia, Town Agapia
Phone: +4 0233.244.736