Tourist paths

The realm of legends, history, culture and spirituality, to which wild nature in its entirety has conferred over the centuries aesthetic values which are thrillingly expressive, the county of Neamț catches and overwhelms all visitors without distinction. The Neamț fortress, the old monasteries of Neamț, Agapia, Văratec, Secu, Sihăstria, “The Copper woods“ and “The Silver woods“, the forests of holms and birches through which Eminescu passed and last but not least, the memorial houses belonging to the writers Ion Creangă, Mihail Sadoveanu, Alexandru Vlahuță and Veronica Micle, are just a part of the treasures of this corner of heaven which are undoubtedly worthy of being discovered at leisure.

Route: Tîrgu Neamţ – Humuleşti – Agapia – Mănăstirea Neamţ – Tîrgu Neamţ

Tourist destinations: “Veronica Micle” Memorial house, “Ion Creangă” Memorial museum, “Alexandru Vlahuță” Memorial house, “Mihail Sadoveanu” Memorial museum.
Duration: one day; 60km.

Means of transport: personal car, local transportation vehicles, teams of horses (carriage or sleigh), field bicycles for groups of young tourists.
Description of the route: the first tourist destination in the itinerary is “Veronica Micle” Memorial house in Tîrgu Neamț, located at 33, Ştefan cel Mare Avenue.

Programme for visits: daily 9-17 (October – March); 10-18 (April – September); Monday – closed;

Passing the bridge over “the clear Ozana which flows quietly”, we get to Humuleşti. A gate made of carved wood shelters the entry to one of the most visited memorial museums in the country – “Ion Creangă” Memorial museum in Humulești. Programme for visits: daily 9-17 (October – March); 10-18 (April – September); Monday – closed. From Humuleşti we move to the commune of Agapia in order to visit “Alexandru Vlahuţă” Memorial house which lies in the monastic village in the commune of Agapia, close to the monastery bearing the same name. On the occasion of the celebration of the centenary of the writer’s birth in 1958, the house was designed and inaugurated as a memorial museum.

Programme for visits: daily 9-17 (October – March); 10-18 (April – September); Monday – closed.
From the main road which leads to Neamţ Monastery, a secondary road leads us to the Hill of Vovidenia, within an entrancing natural scenery, to the house where our great writer Mihail Sadoveanu halted and created his literary works.

Programme for visits: daily 9-17 (October – March); 10-18 (April – September); Monday – closed.

Itinerary: Tîrgu Neamţ – the city tour

Tourist destinations: The Fortress of Neamţ, the monument of the mountain hunters, The Museum of History and Ethnography, The Heroes’ Monument.

Duration: one day; 8 km.

Means of transport: trip, personal car, teams of horses (carriage or sleigh), field bicycles for groups of young tourists.

Description of the route: even from the entry to the city of Tîrgu Neamţ, your attention will be drawn by the ruins of the Fortress of Neamţ. The legends talk about ,,…Teutonic knights who came from over the mountains to these counties and who built here the fortress walls a long time ago”. Historians still bring proofs according to which the fortress of Neamţ is a Moldavian building, erected at the end of the 14th century, during the reign of Petru I Muşat and consolidated during the reign of Stephen the Great.

Programme for visits: daily 9-17 (October – March); 10-18 (April – September); Monday – closed. From the fortress, we continue our trip through the woods, following a route about 3 kilometres long, which goes to the ridge of the Pleşu hill and up to the Monument of the mountain hunters. The monument lies in the north-eastern part of the city, on a large terrace, artificially created in 1936 on the ridge of Pleşu hill. From the monument we go down about 2 kilometres on the street Băile Oglinzi, then through the centre of the city, on Ştefan cel Mare Avenue, up to the Museum of History and Ethnography. The building of the museum is an architectural monument and was built between 1852-1853. Initially functioning as a Princely School, we can keep in mind that Ion Creangă and Vasile Conta studied in this building. The permanent exhibition of the museum includes objects discovered following the archeological diggings which were conducted between 1939 – 1963 as well as the history of traditional crafts in the Depression of Neamţ. 500 metres away from the museum, within an arranged park, there is the Heroes’ Monument, erected with a view to honouring the heroes in Neamț who died in World War II for the Completeness of the kinsmen (1916 – 1919). After World War II was also erected a monument of the soviet soldiers who died in the battles which took place in the area of the city of Tîrgu Neamţ in the summer of 1944.

Itinerary: the Văratec Monastery – the Agapia Monastery – the Agapia Monastery on the Hill – the Sihla Monastery – the monastery of Daniil, the hermit.

Duration: one day; 60 km.

Means of transport: personal car, teams of horses (carriage or sleigh), field bicycles for groups of young tourists, combined means (car and trip).

Description of the route: we leave from Tîrgu Neamţ following the DN 15 C highway towards Piatra Neamţ and after 12 kilometres, we get to the monastic village of Văratec Monastery. It is the largest monastery of nuns in Romania, under the patronage The Dormition of the Mother of God, founded by the nun Olimpiada in 1875.

From Văratec, passing through the village Filioara, we get to Agapia Monastery. The monastery lies on the valley of Agapia brook and is surrounded on all its sides by high mountains with steep ridges and centennial woods and in the lower part, by orchards and gardens with flowers which adorn the nuns’ houses and the courtyards, representing a picturesque landscape. The reputation of the Agapia Monastery is also explained by the existence of interior wall paintings, achieved by Nicolae Grigorescu between 1858-1860. The monastery was founded by successive buildings during the 14th-17th centuries by the hermit Agapie, the Prince Petru Rareş and Lady Anastasia, the wife of Gheorghe Duca-Vodă. It was wholly reconstructed out of thick beams of fir between 1990-1994, only the bell tower being kept. From Agapia Monastery, on mountain paths, we can get to Sihla Monastery and to Secu and Sihăstria Monasteries.

We can also arrive at Sihla from the rear of Agapia Monastery, passing through a forest road which is 8 kilometres long and those who want to get there on foot, they can continue their way from Agapia on the hill towards Sihla, on the ridge of the mountain. The Monastery of Daniil, the hermit is 2 kilometres away from Sihla Monastery. There are benches of wood on the way which have been set up and on which you can rest and, at the same time, you can admire the beauties which surround you. If you want to refresh and drink water, you can halt for a moment at the Healing Fountain, which has been set up before getting to the monastery.

Itinerary: The Sihăstria Monastery – John’s glade Monastery – the Secu Monastery – The Monastery of Nifon – The Neamţ Monastery- The Vovidenia Monastery – The Old Icon Monastery – The Church The Dormition of the Mother of God in Tîrgu Neamţ – Saint George Monastery in Tîrgu Neamţ – Saint Mina Monastery

Duration: one day; 80 km.

Means of transport: personal car, teams of horses (carriage or sleigh), field bicycles for groups of young tourists, combined means (car and trip).

Description of the route: we leave from Tîrgu Neamţ on DN 15 B highway towards the commune of Vânători Neamţ- Poiana Largului and after leaving behind Branişte Forest, we turn to the left towards the Sihăstria Monastery, which is 22 kilometres away from Tîrgu Neamţ. Owing to its existence of three centuries, the Sihăstria Monastery, faithfully continues the Moldavian classical style and shelters churchly objects, liturgical pots and a library of a great historic and cultural importance.

John’s Glade Monastery is 3 kilometres away from the Sihăstria Monastery. You can get to the monastery either by car or by foot through a centennial beech and coniferous forest. The Secu Monastery is one of the oldest Orthodox monastic hearths in the county of Neamţ. The Nifon Monastery is 3 kilometres away from the Secu Monastery and was founded in 1690. In the northwestern part of the famous fortress of Neamţ, only 12 kilometres away, in a wide open glade on the valley of Nemţişor, lies the well-known Neamţ Monastery.
The Vovidenia Monastery was consecrated in 1857. Here you can find the house built by Visarion Puiu in 1937, in which after 1944, the writer Mihail Sadoveanu lived and wrote. The Old Icon Monastery lies 7 kilometres away, in the western part of Neamţ Monastery and includes a church made of wood.

The Church The Dormition of the Mother of God in Tîrgu Neamţ lies in the centre of the city and dates back to the end of the 19th century. Saint George Church in Tîrgu Neamţ is the first church made of stone in Tîrgu Neamț and was built between 1800 -1808. About 2 kilometres away from the exit of Tîrgu Neamț, you can visit Saint Mina Monastery. The monastery is a monastic establishment for monks and belongs to the Sihăstria Monastery.

Itinerary: Tîrgu Neamţ – Vânători Neamţ – Agapia – Filioara – Tîrgu Neamţ

Tourist destinations: “Dragoş Vodă” reservation of aurochses, The Natural Park in Vânători-Neamţ, The Silver woods, The Copper woods
Duration: one day; 60 km.

Means of transport: personal car, teams of horses (carriage or sleigh), field bicycles for groups of young tourists.

Description of the route: we move from Tîrgu Neamţ towards the commune of Vânători Neamţ, where “Dragoş Vodă”, the reservation of aurochses and Carpathian fauna is located. The reservation was founded in 1968 and covers about 11,500 hectares. Within a natural scenery of about four hectares, there are six specimens of aurochses, out of which two male and four female. Within the reservation, besides aurochses, we can also encounter Carpathian deer, fallow deer, roebucks, foxes, badgers, hares, bears and wolves.

The natural Park in Vânători-Neamţ is a protected area founded in 1999, intended for the protection of the natural, spiritual and cultural heritage of the area.

Lying wihin the boundary rays of the communes of Crăcăoani, Agapia, Vînători, of the city of Tîrgu Neamţ and of the resorts Bălţăteşti and Oglinzi, the Natural Park in Vânători Neamţ has a unique beauty and a special picturesque landscape.

Having become famous in the Romanian literature by Mihai Eminescu in the poem Călin (pages from a tale) – “If through the copper woods you pass, the silver woods shine far away,/ There you will hear a thousand throats proclaim the forest’s roundelay” – the silver woods lie on the territory of Agapia commune, near the headquarters of Văratec Forestry, on the lower terrace of Topoliţa brook, being 540 metres high. The forest is made of birch brush, with the oldest trees being over 100 years old, but the forest also includes trees which are 20 and 50 years old. Besides the “Silver woods”, the forest reservation “The Copper woods” completes the incursion into the natural fairy-like scenery of the Natural Park in Vânători Neamţ.

The reservation of holms is located in the commune of Agapia and reaches the height of 650 metres. The woods cover a surface of almost 10 hectares and the oldest trees are about 135 years old.